It’s certainly ideal for any senior to remain at home, even if declining health may say otherwise. However, it’s vital that your elderly parent or relative feels safe at home, which is why choosing the best home security system is crucial.
To help you weigh out your options, our team at WellSprings Home Care has chosen our top home security system picks, so that your loved one can remain happily in his or her home, with an extra sense of security – giving you peace of mind, too!
What to Look for in a Home Security System
First, let’s check out what an ideal home security system should have, so that it’s easy and convenient for your loved one to operate. This is especially important if your loved one has a dementia-related illness, such as Alzheimer’s.
Your loved one’s home security system should have:
• Remote System Activation. Did you know that many security systems are remote-controlled? Gone are the days of having to run and press the passcode on the keypad. Seniors can control their alarm system from anywhere with this feature, which is especially convenient for those with mobility issues.
• A Larger Keypad. While your alarm system will still have a keypad, these buttons should be large and backlit so that your loved one can operate it easily. This is also a feature your alarm system company should be willing to accommodate.
• Sound Options. You might think that all alarm sounds are the same, and could wake just about anyone up, but this may not be the case for seniors with hearing disabilities. Visual alerts can also be an option, instead, such as strobe lights that can illuminate the room and signal your loved one that there may be trouble.
• An Emergency Button. Home security systems shouldn’t act as just a home invasion preventative; they should also provide personal safety measures in case your loved one is hurt. Many seniors are prone to falling, and in cases when they are home alone, they’ll need immediate help. This is where emergency alert buttons are vital. Your loved one can wear the button around his or her neck, or as a bracelet. That way, if he or she is in trouble, a simple push of the button will immediately alert a call center for help.
Our Top Home Security System Picks
Now that you know what to look for with a home security system, here are some of our suggestions for where to start, beginning with our number one choice:
1. ADT. Founded in 1874, ADT is the longest-standing home security company, so they know a thing or two about keeping residents safe. Simply placing the sign in your loved one’s yard is a huge deterrent to potential burglars.
However, what’s most impressive about ADT is its variety of equipment options. You can choose to have the main hub of the system on either a tablet-like touchscreen, or a classic keypad.
They also offer a high-tech camera system, and you’ll have the option of checking in on your smartphone, even when you’re not at home.
2. Vivint. Another security system that may be ideal for your loved one is Vivint. This system allows you to control your security system, home temperature, and lighting in the home via a smartphone app, and the main hub for this system is controlled by voice-activated Google Home Mini.
While this system is certainly high-tech, that may be just the problem for seniors. Many of them may not understand the voice activation, especially if they have a dementia-related illness or disability.
3. SimpliSafe. SimpliSafe is ideal if you’re looking for a more cost-efficient, reliable security system. For just $15 per month, you can have recently updated equipment that is easy to install and generally simple to operate.
However, you won’t get as many options with this system. SimpliSafe only offers one indoor camera, and you’ll have to pay for all of the equipment upfront.
Choosing the Best Home Security System
With all of this information, we hope that finding the right home security system for your loved one will be a simple, yet important, task. If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact WellSprings Home Care today at 610-463-0880!...Read More